We all struggle to have the spiritual strength needed to face life. Maybe it’s temptations, habits, or even addictions. Many of us struggle with feelings of loneliness, frustration, uncertainty, sickness, boredom, and certainly weakness. This was the topic of my sermon yesterday from Ephesians 6:10. You can find part one of the video HERE.
Sometimes Christians act like life is more of a playground than a battle ground! But as Warren Wiersbe has famously said…
In Ephesians 6:10 the Apostle Paul said it like this…
“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.”
Many circumstances we face require powerful spiritual strength! They may include…
- Video games
God has the power we need. He has POWERFUL STRENGTH! But many of us struggle to experience that power when we need it most… don’t we!
Here are a few strengths that the Lord provides…
1. STRENGTH IN TEMPTATION
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
2. STRENGTH IN TROUBLE
The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord;
he is their stronghold in time of trouble.
40 The Lord helps them and delivers them;
he delivers them from the wicked and saves them,
because they take refuge in him. Psalm 37:39-40
3. STRENGTH IN SICKNESS
Blessed are those who have regard for the weak;
the Lord delivers them in times of trouble.
2 The Lord protects and preserves them—
they are counted among the blessed in the land—
he does not give them over to the desire of their foes.
3 The Lord sustains them on their sickbed
and restores them from their bed of illness. Psalm 41:1-3
4. STRENGTH IN WEAKNESS & WAITING
Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope [wait] in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:28-31
5. STRENGTH IN SERVICE
But now be strong, Zerubbabel,’ declares the Lord. ‘Be strong, Joshua son of Jozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land,’ declares the Lord, ‘and work. For I am with you,’ declares the Lord Almighty. Haggai 2:4
Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. Hebrews 13:20-21
6. STRENGTH IN SPIRITUAL WARFARE
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. Ephesians 6:11
7. Strength In EVERYTHING!
I can do all things through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
- We are on a spiritual battleground, NOT a playground! It’s a spiritual war and our real enemy is after our soul!
- God makes every resource, even the power that raised Jesus from the dead, available to every one of His children!
- Like an athlete training for competition, we only get stronger through training! That involves discipline, saying no to certain things and yes to others.
- Will you invite the power of God into your weakness? When we are weak He is strong in and through us. His power begins with our weakness and He gives His power and His grace to those who are humble, who confess their need, and lay down their pride.
- If yes, say in prayer to God now something like this… “God, in my strength I can’t… I’m weak without and apart from you. I need you. Be my strength.”
- Review the promise(s) we went through this week, daily, multiple times a day if you need to. Ask God to give you His power and be willing to go and do what He calls you to go and do.
Be STRONG in the Lord and in His mighty power! You and I can do ALL things through Christ who gives us strength!